Senior OEC Advisor
PO Box 94
Shedd, OR 97377
Information for Senior Program Candidates
NSP members may enroll in the senior program at any time after advancing beyond candidate status and after obtaining their NSP patrol representation’s recommendation. There is no minimum age or experience requirement. Eligibility for senior program is based on NSP member classification.
Senior candidates completing elective courses or participating in instructor trainer courses must provide proof of participation through a certificate of completion or a current instructor authorization certificate. Proof of completion also appears on the membership card and the member’s personal page on the NSP website.
A senior candidate need only complete the senior emergency management component one time. In other words, a candidate who completes the EMM core component but does not complete the skiing or toboggan handling need not repeat the EMM component in the next effort to achieve senior certification.
Approved program goals for all senior program classifications are listed in The Ski Patroller’s Manual, 14th edition.
- The senior emergency management component consists of field-relevant exercises to develop skills in the objectives of decision making, problem management, and leadership. Three options are available for the evaluation process and can be referenced in The Ski Patroller’s Manual, 14th edition, CH 18.
- The senior alpine (skiing/snowboarding) component consists of long-, medium- and short-radius turns, skiing/snowboarding unpacked snow or icy conditions, and equipment carry exercises that require edging, weight transfer, and upper and lower body movements. The objective is to help patrollers become better alpine skiers/snowboarders and toboggan handlers.
- The senior alpine toboggan handling component covers mechanics and components of various rescue toboggans as well as the operation of loaded and unloaded toboggans from the front and tail in a variety of snow conditions an more difficult slopes.
Important information regarding out of region testing
- Any Senior Candidate who has failed a final evaluation from another Region’s Senior Program can not attend the Wy’east/Oregon Region’s Senior final evaluation.
- A Senior Candidate who can not attend the final evaluation of their Region’s Senior Program due to scheduling conflict or another viable reason, may be able to attend the Wy’east/Oregon Region final. Approval will be determined by the disciplines’ coordinators and upon available space.
For more information please download the Senior Program Information Packet.
Senior OEC Documents
There are two manuals that we refer to for the Senior Outdoor Emergengy Care:
- Senior Outdoor Emergency Care Senior Training Coordinators Guidelines dated 12/9/11 which I refer to as the Senior OEC Manual. This is on the NSP website under OEC — please make sure you and your candidates read it.
- Ski Patrollers Manual 14th Edition. I think it is still available to purchase through NSP but they are in the process of making a new edition. You might want to have candidates borrow a manual from someone for now.
2013–2014 Oregon and Wy’east Regions OET Training for Seniors
all clinics are open to both mt hood (wy’east) and oregon regions and are designed to focus on senior level oet skills. The following calander list the ski area and sponsoring region. If interested in participating contact your area oet instructor trainner to register.
(draft 11/06/2013 — Al K.)
- January 11 — Wy’east Region at Mt. Hood
- January 12 — Womens Clinic at Mt. Hood
- January 19 — Oregon Region at Bachelor
- January 26 — Oregon Region at Willamette Pass
- February 2 — Oregon Region at Warner Canyon
- February 15 — Wy’east Region at Mt. Hood
- February 23 — Oregon Region at Mt. Ashland
- March 1 — Wy’east at Mt Hood
- March 15 & 16 — Oregon Region Nuts and Bolts & Women’s clinic at Hoo Doo
- March 22 — Wy’east Region at Mt. Hood
- April 5 & 6 — Joint Wy’east and Oregon Regions OET Finals at Willamette Pass or Hoo Doo April 5 is for OET officials and April 6 Senior candidates
Download the Schedule: OET 2013 Combined (draft 11/06/2013).
Extra Enhancement Clinics:
(draft 9/24/2013 — Al K.)
- December TBD — Mt Baker Womens Clinic
- March TBD — Skills and Drills clinic, Inland Empire
- April TBD — NW Region Advanced Terrain Clinic
- May 30 thru June 1 — Mt Hood Nuts and Bolts. Also a women’s sled clinic
Check the Calendar for any late changes.