Senior OEC Chairperson
Senior OEC Training Coordinator (STC)
PO Box 94
Shedd, OR 97377
Information for Senior Program Candidates
NSP members may enroll in the senior program at any time after advancing beyond candidate status and after obtaining their NSP patrol representation’s recommendation. There is no minimum age or experience requirement. Eligibility for senior program is based on NSP member classification.
Senior candidates completing elective courses or participating in instructor trainer courses must provide proof of participation through a certificate of completion or a current instructor authorization certificate. Proof of completion also appears on the membership card and the member’s personal page on the NSP website.
A senior candidate need only complete the senior OEC component one time. In other words, a candidate who completes the SrEOC core component but does not complete the skiing or toboggan handling need not repeat the SrEOC component in the next effort to achieve senior certification.
Approved program goals for all senior program classifications are listed in The Ski Patroller’s Manual, 14th edition.
- The senior OEC component consists of field-relevant exercises to develop skills in the objectives of decision making, problem management, and leadership. Three options are available for the evaluation process and can be referenced in The Ski Patroller’s Manual, 14th edition, Chapter 18.
- The senior alpine (skiing/snowboarding) component consists of long-, medium- and short-radius turns, skiing/snowboarding unpacked snow or icy conditions, and equipment carry exercises that require edging, weight transfer, and upper and lower body movements. The objective is to help patrollers become better alpine skiers/snowboarders and toboggan handlers.
- The senior alpine toboggan handling component covers mechanics and components of various rescue toboggans as well as the operation of loaded and unloaded toboggans from the front and tail in a variety of snow conditions an more difficult slopes.
Important information regarding out of region testing
- Any Senior Candidate who has failed a final evaluation from another Region’s Senior Program can not attend the Wy’east/Oregon Region’s Senior final evaluation.
- A Senior Candidate who can not attend the final evaluation of their Region’s Senior Program due to scheduling conflict or another viable reason, may be able to attend the Wy’east/Oregon Region final. Approval will be determined by the disciplines’ coordinators and upon available space.
For more information please download the Senior Program Information Packet.
Oregon Region OEC Module of the Senior Program
Dates and Requirements
Information session for the OEC Module of the Senior Program:
Dec. 12, 2015 at 9:00 at Hoodoo. Please let Laurie Coventry know if you plan to attend.
Notification of candidates planning on doing OEC Module of the Senior Program:
Dec. 31, 2015: Last day to notify the Senior Training Coordinator (STC) (Laurie Coventry) of the number of Senior candidates and submit the paperwork for them (see below). We are limiting the number to 18 candidates total. We are again participating with Wy’East for the clinic and final.
Jan. 15, 2016: STC must have completed an Application to Conduct an OEC Module of the Senior Program Evaluation and return it to the Division OEC Supervisor (Laurie’s job to have completed).
I need to have items 1, 3, and 4 below completed by Dec. 31 and sent to me by either email or snail mail. And you should be working on the other items to prep for the clinic. Also please let me know of your planned training dates and if other areas are welcome to join.
All candidates must complete paperwork as required by the OEC Module of the Senior Program; Senior Training Coordinators Guidelines:
- “Senior Candidate Application,” signed by the patrol director/NSP Rep. (Appendix C in the Senior Manual). (Due to me by Dec. 31)
- “Completion Log for OEC Basic Skills performance Check-Off,” signed by appropriate NSP Instructors (Appendix C in the Senior Manual). (Due to me by Jan. 23 – can bring to the clinic or email ahead)
- A copy of their current, valid OEC Card. (Due to me by Dec. 31)
- A copy of their current, valid NSP Card. (Due to me by Dec. 31)
- Written answers to two scenarios from the Ski Patrollers Manual (Appendix G). (Due to me by Jan. 23)
- One original scenario created by the candidate, level 5/6 in the correct format following the Scenario Scoring Matrix (Appendix C in the Senior Manual). (Due to me by Jan. 23). I have attached a template to make it easier for the candidates to complete in the correct format.
- Pass four documented and scored Senior level scenarios by April 18, 2016.
Clinic and Final Testing Dates:
Jan. 23, 2016: OEC Module of the Senior Program Clinic at Wy’East
Apr. 18, 2016: OEC Module of the Senior Program Final at either Bachelor or Hoodoo (TBD)
The evaluators need to be SROEC T/E certified. This also applies to the four Senior level scenario passes that need to be completed prior to the final.
Oregon Region Transportation Schedule 2015-2016
Senior Clinic Training Dates
Please email us and let us know what clinics you plan on attending. Getting accurate head count helps us to have the proper amount of equipment for the clinic.
- Jan 9 & 23 — Wy’East Region @ Mt Hood
- Feb 6 — Combined training w/ Oregon Region @ Hoodoo or Willamette
- Feb 20 — Combined training w/ Oregon Region @ Mt Hood
- Mar 12-13 — Senior OET Finals @ Oregon Region (Bachelor – to be arranged)
Region, PNWD Divison and National Clinics
- Feb 27-28 — Our two day region clinic at Mt Bachelor
- June 3-5 — Hood Nuts and Bolts
If you have any questions regarding these clinics please contact Cyndy Meno Oregon Region Transportation Advisor email@example.com or Dan Bolduc Oregon Region Transportation Assistant firstname.lastname@example.org We are looking forward to a great season.